With this week being National Chocolate Week (12th – 18th October) plus it being Chocolate Week on the Great British Bake Off (Tuesday at 8pm), we thought we’d bring you a post with one of our favourite chocolatey recipes – Rocky Road!
It’s super easy to make, very easy to amend to what you have available (or likes and dislikes), and is a firm favourite with adults and children alike! Get this staple made now, and have your snacks at the ready for Tuesday’s Bake Off viewing. Or to go one better – get the kids to make it for you – the recipe is so simple that even little ones can do it with some supervision!
Rocky Road Recipe
For this recipe, you’ll need a saucepan, a large shallow baking tray, and a fridge. No oven needed!
- 300g dark chocolate
- 100g milk chocolate
- 125g butter
- 6tbsp golden syrup
- 150g mini marshmallows
- 400g crushed digestive biscuits
- 200g sultanas
- Line the tray with grease-proof paper (rub a little butter over the base and sides to help it stick if needed)
- Into a bowl, crush the digestive biscuits into small chunks (but not dust)
- Add the sultanas and half of the mini marshmallows
- In a saucepan, melt the butter gently
- Add all the chocolate and stir until melted
- Remove from the heat, and add the golden syrup, stirring until smooth and shiny
- Pour the chocolate mixture over the dry ingredients, and mix until well combined
- Press firmly into the tray with the back of a spoon, making sure it is fairly even
- Put the remaining mini marshmallows on top, pressing gently to ensure they stick
- Refrigerate until set
- Cut into whatever size slabs you like, and enjoy!
TIPS and tricks
- This looks lovely as it is, but if you fancied giving it a bit of extra jazzing up, it would brilliant with a drizzle of white chocolate over the top, or perhaps some sprinkles or white chocolate drops pressed on top before setting. Unleash your creativity!
- Keeps for 5 days in the fridge (if you can resist it that long!)
- Dried cranberries make a delicious alternative (or addition) to sultanas
It’s not the same as cake though…
If Rocky Road isn’t for you, then you can still get your chocolate fix from us! We have Chocolate and Hazelnut Brownie (gluten-free), Chocolate Mint Cake (vegan), Old Fashioned Chocolate Cake, and Raspberry and White Chocolate Cake! We also do some sharing options, such as our Friends and Family Cake Selection Box, or our 8″ Round Sponge in a range of flavours, so no one needs to feel left out! With free delivery to all of Hayling Island 6 days a week, what’s stopping you from indulging?!
AND THAT’S aLL THere is to it!
If we’ve sparked your baking flame, why not try out one of our other recipes we have on the blog? We’ve got some timeless classic recipes, plus those for specialist diets such as vegan and gluten free. See the full list of our blog posts here!
We’d love to hear your thoughts, successes or failures! Have we inspired you to try something different? Let us know in the comments below!
Don’t forget to follow our facebook page to keep up to date with the latest products and news!